E-Message Bible/Commentary

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." --- Psalm 119:105

Custom Search

REVELATION

No "s" Please!
The revelation [no "s"] of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place.  He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw ---that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. (Revelation 1:1-2)

There is no "s" on the end of Revelation. It is the Book of Revelation and NOT Revelations. It is ONLY one revelation, and that is the revelation of Jesus Christ as told to John. Two initial mistakes some people make about the Book of Revelation: (1) They inadvertently put an "s" on the end making the word plural. It is singular; no "s" please. (2) They mistakenly think it is the revelation of John. It is the revelation of Jesus told to John to write to the seven churches in Asia and to believers everywhere. That's why there are so many symbols in the book; symbols that Christians should know.

We realize that mispronouncing the name of the book has nothing to do with our salvation, but let's be biblically correct whenever we can. Remember, it is Revelation; not Revelations. Remember, it is the revelation of Jesus Christ to give hope and warnings to believers; not John's revelation. The Book of Revelation "unveils" Christ's full identity and God's plan for the end of the world. The book focuses on Jesus Christ, His Second Coming, His victory over evil, and other end time events.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Read It To Be Blessed
Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near. (Revelation 1:3)

Seven (7) times in the Book of Revelation, we are told that those who read it are blessed. Why, then, are so many people afraid to read the Book of Revelation? Why, then, have so many people not read it if the promise to be blessed is stressed throughout the book? If you are a Christian and you have not read Revelation, you are missing some of your blessings.

Revelation is a book of hope. John, the beloved apostle and eyewitness of Jesus, proclaimed that the victorious Lord would surely return to vindicate the righteous and judge the wicked.

Revelation is also a book of warning. Things were not as they should have been in the churches, so Christ called the members to commit themselves to live in righteousness. Although Jesus gave John the revelation of himself over 2,000 years ago, it still stands as a comfort and challenge to God's people today. When you understand all that is written in Revelation, you will embrace the words in the end of the book: "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:20).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A View of the Future
Blessed is the one who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near. (Revelation 1:3)

Some people go to palm readers or call the physic hotline to find out what their future will be like. Some people read horoscopes and fortune cookies for a glimpse of their future. God forbids all of the above according to Deuteronomy 28. However, He does promise blessings for those who read the Book of Revelation.

Revelation gives us God's view of the future, and He knows exactly what will take place. God's view of the future is our eschatological hope because it encourages us to live holy because these end time events are near. By having this view of the future, we get a clear picture of what will happen to the saved and the unsaved. We get a view of our future dwelling place along with the things that MUST take place before, during and after the Second Coming of Jesus.

Having this view of the future shall give all Christians hope, anticipation and expectation of all the beautiful and rich things that will happen. On the other hand, this view of the future should encourage the unsaved to join the family of God to be part of the blessedness instead of gloom, doom, and eternal damnation.

Get a view of the future by reading the Book of Revelation. Get a view of YOUR future by learning what the Bible says will happen to YOU from the time you take your last breath on earth until you make heaven your final resting place or hell your final place of torment, suffering and punishment.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Same As
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." (Revelation 1:8)

Many times new readers of the Bible become confused because they do not know that some words, phrases, expressions or names mean the same as another word, phrase, expression or name.

For examples:
  • The Holy Ghost is the same as the Holy Spirit.
  • The Kingdom of God is the same as the Kingdom of Heaven.
  • Israel is the same as Jacob.
  • The sons of Israel or sons of Jacob mean the same as the twelve tribes of Israel.
  • King Ahasuerus is the same as King Xerxes in the Book of Esther.
  • Jetro, Moses' father-in-law, is the same as Reuel in the Book of Exodus.
  • The Song of Songs is the same as The Song of Solomon.
  • The Hebrews (while in Egypt), the Israelites (while in the desert) and Jews (the early church) are all the same.
  • The Decalogue is the same as The Ten Commandments
  • The Model Prayer is the same as "Our Father, which art in heaven . . ."
  • The Pentateuch is the same as the Torah or the five books of Moses.
  • The Pentateuch, the Torah both mean the same as the Book of the Law
  • The Hebrew Scriptures are the same as the Old Testament.
  • The wilderness is the same as the desert in reference to the exodus.
  • Simon is the same as Peter in the Gospels.
  • Saul is the same as Paul in Acts of the Apostles.
Jesus is the same as the following names and titles:
  • Advocate (1 John 2:1)
  • Almighty (Rev. 1:8; Mt. 28:18)
  • Alpha and Omega (Rev. 1:8; 22:13)
  • Amen (Rev. 3:14)
  • Apostle of Our Profession (Heb. 3:1)
  • Atoning Sacrifice for Our Sins (1 John 2:2)
  • Author of Life (Acts 3:15)
  • Author and Perfecter of Our Faith (Heb. 12:2)
  • Author of Salvation (Heb. 2:10)
  • Beginning and End (Rev. 22:13)
  • Blessed and Only Ruler (1 Tim. 6:15)
  • Bread of God (John 6:33)
  • Bread of Life (John 6:35; 6:48)
  • Capstone (Acts 4:11; 1 Pet. 2:7)
  • Chief Cornerstone (Eph. 2:20)
  • Chief Shepherd (1 Pet. 5:4)
  • Christ (1 John 2:22)
  • Creator (John 1:3)
  • Deliverer (Rom. 11:26)
  • Eternal Life (1 John 1:2; 5:20)
  • Everlasting Father (Isa. 9:6)
  • Gate (John 10:9)
  • Faithful and True (Rev. 19:11)
  • Faithful Witness (Rev. 1:5)
  • Faith and True Witness (Rev. 3:14)
  • First and Last (Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13)
  • Firstborn From the Dead (Rev. 1:5)
  • God (John 1:1; 20:28; Heb. 1:8; Rom. 9:5; 2 Pet. 1:1;1 John 5:20; etc.)
  • Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14)
  • Great Shepherd (Heb. 13:20)
  • Great High Priest (Heb. 4:14)
  • Head of the Church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15; 5:23)
  • Heir of All Things (Heb. 1:2)
  • High Priest (Heb. 2:17)
  • Holy and True (Rev. 3:7)
  • Holy One (Acts 3:14)
  • Hope (1 Tim. 1:1)
  • Hope of Glory (Col. 1:27)
  • Horn of Salvation (Luke 1:69)
  • I Am (John 8:58)
  • Image of God (2 Cor. 4:4)
  • King Eternal (1 Tim. 1:17)
  • King of Israel (John 1:49)
  • King of the Jews (Mt. 27:11)
  • King of Kings (1 Tim 6:15; Rev. 19:16)
  • King of the Ages (Rev. 15:3)
  • Lamb (Rev. 13:8)
  • Lamb of God (John 1:29)
  • Lamb Without Blemish (1 Pet. 1:19)
  • Last Adam (1 Cor. 15:45)
  • Life (John 14:6; Col. 3:4)
  • Light of the World (John 8:12)
  • Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Rev. 5:5)
  • Living One (Rev. 1:18)
  • Living Stone (1 Pet. 2:4)
  • Lord (2 Pet. 2:20)
  • Lord of All (Acts 10:36)
  • Lord of Glory (1 Cor. 2:8)
  • Lord of Lords (Rev. 19:16)
  • LORD [YHWH] our Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
  • Man from Heaven (1 Cor. 15:48)
  • Mediator of the New Covenant (Heb. 9:15)
  • Mighty God (Isa. 9:6)
  • Morning Star (Rev. 22:16)
  • Offspring of David (Rev. 22:16)
  • Only Begotten Son of God (John 1:18; 1 John 4:9)
  • Our Great God and Savior (Titus 2:13)
  • Our Holiness (1 Cor. 1:30)
  • Our Husband (2 Cor. 11:2)
  • Our Protection (2 Thess. 3:3)
  • Our Redemption (1 Cor. 1:30)
  • Our Righteousness (1 Cor. 1:30)
  • Our Sacrificed Passover Lamb (1 Cor. 5:7)
  • Power of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
  • Precious Cornerstone (1 Pet. 2:6)
  • Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6)
  • Prophet (Acts 3:22)
  • Resurrection and Life (John 11:25)
  • Righteous Branch (Jer. 23:5)
  • Righteous One (Acts 7:52; 1 John 2:1)
  • Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)
  • Root of David (Rev. 5:5; 22:16)
  • Ruler of God’s Creation (Rev. 3:14)
  • Ruler of the Kings of the Earth (Rev. 1:5)
  • Savior (Eph. 5:23; Titus 1:4; 3:6; 2 Pet. 2:20)
  • Son of David (Lk. 18:39)
  • Son of God (John 1:49; Heb. 4:14)
  • Son of Man (Mt. 8:20)
  • Son of the Most High God (Lk. 1:32)
  • Source of Eternal Salvation for all who obey him (Heb. 5:9)
  • The One Mediator (1 Tim. 2:5)
  • The Stone the builders rejected (Acts 4:11)
  • True Bread (John 6:32)
  • True Light (John 1:9)
  • True Vine (John 15:1)
  • Truth (John 1:14; 14:6)
  • Way (John 14:6)
  • Wisdom of God (1 Cor. 1:24)
  • Wonderful Counselor (Isa. 9:6)
  • Word (John 1:1)
  • Word of God (Rev. 19:13)

Who Was John's Letter Carrier?
Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. (Revelation 1:19)

I have taught the Book of Revelation more than two dozen times; yet no one has ever asked me how the seven letters got off the isle of Patmos since John had been banished there as punishment for teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. No one has ever asked me, but I am prepared to give an answer if they ever do.

John was told to write his vision and to write letters to seven churches. But how did the letters get to those churches at Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea? The answer is more obvious than you might think.

John was 90 years old when he was put on the island because of his teaching about the saving power of Jesus Christ. However, John outlived his exile. He lived to bear his testimony, in writing, in the Book of Revelation that has gone to nearly all the world and should be read by every Christian.   John lived through his punishment and when the dictator who put him on the island died, John was set free.  Jesus' promise to His beloved disciple was fulfilled: “I will make him as flaming fire and a ministering angel; he shall minister for those who shall be heirs of salvation who dwell on the earth.” (John 21:20-24)  

John wrote the Book of Revelation AFTER leaving the isle of Patmos, not while he was there. He remembered the events and wrote them later as he continued his ministry as a free man until his peaceful death.  

So, there you have it. John didn't need a letter carrier . . . only willing Christians who would read his book and spread the prophecy written therein.
_____________________________________________________________________________

One Like a Son of Man
I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands and among the lampstands was someone "like a son of man" dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest...His face was like the sun shinng in all its brillance. (Revelation 1:12-16)

John had been Jesus' beloved disciple. John had been part of the inner circle along with Peter and James. John was the one whom Jesus said, "Behold thy mother" when he put Mary in John's care and John in Mary's care at His crucifixion (John 19:26-27).

Now when John is isolated on the Isle of Patmos and in the spirit on the Lord's Day, he sees Jesus not as a supernatural figure, but "like a son of man." This is just one of ten (10) interesting characteristics John gives of Jesus:
  1.  "...someone "like a son of man" indicates that this person was not a supernatural figure; rather He was human in His appearance. "Son of Man" was an appropriate title Jesus applied to Himself while He was on earth.
  2.   "...dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet." This was a typical long robe worn by the high priests in the Temple. Jesus is our great High Priest.
  3.  "with a golden sash around his chest" refers to a symbol of strength and authority common in the ancient world. Only those in authority could wear such a sash.
  4. "His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow" conveys the thought of age and wisdom and the righteousness of God from everylasting to everylasting.
  5. "...His eyes were like blazing fire." The Greek phrase is "His eye shot fire." We say "His eyes were blood shot" meaning Jesus was not indignant over the sins of the world.
  6. "...His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace." The bronze is symbolic of judgment. All people will be judged.
  7.  "...His voice was like the sound of rushing waters." When Jesus returns, no other voice will be heard except his. All other voices will give heed to the one that will not be a still small voice but one like the sound of Niagra Falls magnified.
  8.  "In His right hand he held seven stars." The seven stars are the angels [or messengers] of the seven churches.
  9. "Out of His mouth came a sharp double-edged sword." The spoken word of Jesus will cut both ways.
  10. "His face was like the sun shining in all its brillance." This refers to the divine nature of Jesus and should remind us of the event that took place on the Mount of Transfiguration when His face was literally "transfigured" before Peter, James and John.
Make no mistake about it. Who John saw was Jesus Christ, the divine Son of God. Would you recognize Jesus based on what you know about Him?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perseverance
 . . . and you have persevered and have endured hardships, and have labored for my name's sake and have not become weary. (Revelation 2:3)

Jesus commended the church at Ephesus for . . .
  • working hard,
  • persevering,
  • resisting sin,
  •  critically examining the claims of false prophesy, and
  • enduring hardships without becoming weary. 
Every church and every individual should have these characteristics. 

These words speak volumes to us today.  Perseverance involves genuine commitment no matter how difficult the task.  We must set our hearts and minds on accomplishing whatever it is that God has called us to do.  We must not lose heart or give up.  Instead, we should be steadfast and determine to complete our task even it we have to face opposition or discouragement.  The rewards of work well done will be worth the effort. 

"And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Loveless Church
You have forsaken your first love. (Revelation 2:4)

In the list of seven churches of Asia, Pergamum was the official capital, but Ephesus was by far the greatest city in the province and is listed first because of its size, economics, culture, and Greek temples. Ephesus was the gateway of Asia. During Paul's travels, he stayed three years in Ephesus, longer than in any other city (Acts 20:31). Paul had earlier commended this church for its love for God and others (Ephesians 1:15). Many of the older people died, and the next generation lost its zeal for God. Ephesus became the loveless church.

Today there is little left in Ephesus but ruins. Once the greatest city in Asia is now nothing more than a waste and desolate land. Is this because Ephesus became the loveless church? Is this what happens to churches and Christians when they lose their first love?

If you do not have the zeal you once had for God, rekindle your love affair now!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Can You Hear Me Now?"
He who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. (Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 29; 3:6, 13, 22; 13:9)

There is a cellular telephone commercial where a man walks to different places and constantly asks the question, "Can you hear me now?" to prove that the cell phone works in unusual places. In the Book of Revelation, the command is given eight (8) times for us to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches. Why does the man in the cell phone commercial ask the question, "Can you hear me now?" so many times? Why was the command for us to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches so important enough to be given in the Book of Revelation eight times?

Repetition is a sign of significance and importance. What is repeated brings emphasis to that question, statement or situation. Because Jesus knew it is important for us to hear the word of God in order to do the word of God, he emphasized this command to John to write it to us..."He who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

There is a major difference between listening and hearing. One can listen to what is said by letting it go in one ear and out the other.  In order to hear, one must focus on what is said, receive it not only in the mind but let it go 18 inches below and sink in the heart as well.

It is time for us to hear (really hear) what the Spirit says to the churches according to the Book of Revelation.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Being Rich Without Having Money
I know your afflictions and your poverty; yet you are rich! (Revelation 2:9)

Some of the richest people in the world do not have a huge bank account, live in a palace or drive a Rolls Royce. They don't own a Rolex, designer clothes or travel to exotic places. These people are rich without owning any of these things. So how can one have poverty yet be rich?

Riches are not limited to what one has.  Being rich is not the accumulation of material things. Some of the richest people have very little materially; yet they are rich spiritually. Princess Diana and Mother Teresa died within days of each other. In recounting their lives, it was said that just one outfit of Princess Diana was worth more than ALL of Mother Teresa's worldly possessions. Princess Diana was rich in the sense of accumulated wealth; Mother Teresa was rich without having material things.

While it is important to have money to live comfortably, it does NOT make one rich. Genuine riches come from within. This is what the Lord says, "Let not the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight." (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Persecuted Church
To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." (Revelation 2:11)

Smyrna was the persecuted church because the city was made up of a Jewish population strongly opposed to Christianity, and a non-Jewish population that was loyal to Rome and supported emperor worship. With a combination like that, it is no wonder the church at Smyrna was persecuted for its obedience to God.

Persecution is a reality even in today's world. Persecution is from Satan who will try everything including suffering to get Christians to follow him and not God. Christians should not fear Satan because he cannot do spiritual harm.

The advice God gave to Smyrna in the midst of its persecution is the same advice that He gives us today: "Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two Births; One Death
You must be born again. (John 3:7)  He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death. (Revelation 2:11)

The title probably reminds you of an announcement in your local newspaper. Actually, this is a description of a Christian. Every Christian has two births but will experience only one death.  On the other hand, the unsaved experiences one birth and two deaths. The explanation is quite simple.

Everybody's first birth was physical; born of flesh from one's own mother. Flesh gives birth to flesh. In order to understand the things of the Spirit, we must allow the Spirit to give birth to our spirit.  Jesus explained to Nicodemus that "no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." (John 3:3) Every person who has accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord has been born again. Unbelievers have only one birth because they think they were born the right way the first time. They have only the flesh; not the spirit. The flesh can ONLY understand things of the flesh; NEVER the things of the spirit. That's why we have so many conflicts with the unsaved!

Now that you understand the two births of the believer, what about the one death?  According to Revelation 2:11 and 20:6, the believer will not experience the second death. Yes, the believer will die a physical death unless he is alive when the rapture comes. However, the believer will not experience the second death. On the other hand, the unsaved will die twice. First, they will die a physical death unless they are alive when Jesus returns. According to Revelation 20:14 and 21:8, the unsaved will  be "cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death."

In summary, the believer: born twice, dies once; the unbeliever: born once, dies twice. What you do with your life will determine your final destiny to live forever in the bliss of God or to live forever in the lake of fire.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Over-Tolerant Church
To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: Nevertheless I have a few things against you. You have people there who hold to the teaching of Balaam. (Revelation 2:12; 14-15)

Pergamum was a sophisticated city known for its Greek culture and education. It was also the center of four cults with idolatry being a major part of their worship. The city's chief god was the god of healing and people from all over the world came to Pergamum to seek healing from this god. Pergamum is called the city "where Satan has his throne."

Pergamam is considered to be the over-tolerant church because it tolerated idol worship instead of getting rid of it from among them. They tolerated and went along with those things that Christ opposed. They compromised and blended in with idol worship. They tolerated the teachings of Balaam who turned people away from God and led them into idol worship (Numbers 31:16).

As Christians, we are not to be over-tolerant with those things that Christ opposed. We are not to compromise the word of God and the saving power of Jesus Christ. We are not to blend in with evil. We are to stand out and be set apart to righteousness.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Compromising Church
Write this to the Church in Thyatira: "You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols." (Revelation 2:20)

The believers in Thyatira were commended for growing in good deeds. However, God had this one thing against them. They tolerant people with the same spirit as Jezebel. She was the wicked queen who misled people.  In Thyatira the believers were being misled into false teachings especially about sexual immorality. Apparently a false prophetess in the church was teaching that sexual immorality was not a serious matter. Therefore, the believers compromised. While trying to grow in good deeds, they still were involved in sexual immorality.

Some people think it is all right to fornicate, commit adultery and other sexual sins and still be blessed by God. They rationalize that since they are still serving Him, sexual immorality is not a serious matter.  God had an answer for Thyatira and for us as well: "I have given her a time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of their ways" (Revelation 2:22).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Dead Church
To the angel of the Church in Sardis write: "You have a reputation that your are alive, but you are dead." (Revelation 3:1)

Sardis, the dead church, was like "whitewashed tombs which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men's bones" (Matthew 23:27).  Sardis was a beautiful thriving city with a healthy appearance, but it was masked with inner decay.

The problem in the Sardis church was spiritual death. In contrast to its reputation of being alive and active, it was dead, dead, dead! It was infected with sin. Its deeds were evil and the people covered their sins by looking good on the outside but were filthy on the inside.

The same advice that was given to Sardis is for us: (1) Wake up! (2) Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. (3) Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. (Revelation 3:2-3)

Like Sardis, we are urged to obey the Christian principles we have heard and to get back to the basics of faith. We are warned not to cover up our sins by looking good on the outside but are dead and decayed on the inside.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which Church Do You Belong To?
. . . a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. (Ephesians 5:27)

The seven churches of Asia Minor were not different from our churches today. They were random samples of churches that still exist all over the world. None of the churches were perfect, and none of our churches are perfect. If you are trying to find the perfect church, it will never happen. If it were perfect, it wouldn't be perfect once you get there.
 
The seven churches were given commendations, criticisms, instructions and  promises.
 
The Church at Ephesus  (Revelation 2:1-7)
This church rejected evil and endured hardships. However, its fault was that it had lost its first love. Ephesus was instructed to repent in order to receive the tree of life. Today, so many of our churches are so tired up in doing good deeds that they have forgotten their first love . . . JESUS!

The Church at Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11)
Smyrna was spiritually rich; had no criticisms; instructed not to be afraid and was promised a crown of life. Not many churches today are spiritually rich. They focus too much on being materially rich.
 
The Church at Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17)
This church was commended for keeping the faith, but held to the teachings of Balaam. It was instructed to repent in order to receive hidden manna and a white stone with a new name. Like the Pergamum church, some churches allow so much idolatry that we wonder if anything is sacred anymore.
 
The Church at Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29)
Thyatira was a compromising church that was involved in sexual immorality; tolerated the teachings of Jezebel; told to repent to receive the morning star. Some churches today excuse everything their members do whether right, wrong or indifferent. They say, "It's God's business!" and allow the church to run rampart.
 
The Church at Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6)
This church had no commendations at all. It was spiritually dead; instructed to repent; promised a white robe and name in the book of life. Is your church like Sardis? Do the members go through the motions but bear no fruit?  
 
The Church at Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13)
Philadelphia had no criticisms; instead kept the word of Jesus; instructed to hold onto what they had; will be given a pillar in temple and the crown of life. There are not many Philadelphian churches left. Criticisms abound in most churches today as pastors focus on bigger budgets and more members instead of being the shepherd of Psalm 23 keeping their own sheep fed, watered, and comforted. 
 
The Church at Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22)
This church was neither hot nor cold. Because it was lukewarm, it had no commendations; told to repent in order to sit on the throne with Jesus. Lukewarm churches today do as little as possible; just enough to be called a church. It is hard to distinguish if this church is a church or a social club. Have you listened to the music in some churches today? Have you seen some people dance in the churches today? If you didn't know you were in church you would think you were in a nightclub.
 
Which of the above seven churches do you belong to? Or is your church a combination of the seven? Is your church one that Jesus is coming back to; one without a spot or wrinkle? Is your church one that is run by the people or by the leading of God?

Evaluate your church and make the necessary changes to make it holy and blameless so it will not be overlooked when Jesus returns.

Put Your Angels to Work
 . . . and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. (Revelation 5:8; 8:3)

Angels are spiritual beings and appear throughout the Bible. At least 34 of the 66 books of the Bible teach about the existence of angels. They are mentioned 108 times in the Old Testament and 165 times in the New Testament. While the Bible gives no definite number of angels, they are described as "thousands upon thousands," "myriad of angels" and "legions." (Daniel 7:10; Matthew 26:53; Hebrews 12:22). The number will never increase or decrease because angels do not produce after their own kind, and they do not die. Angels are superior to man in power and intelligence (Hebrews 2:7) but we are not to worship them. Angels appear before righteous people and serve them in times of need. (Psalm 91:11-12). Angels are assigned to protect the people of God. (Exodus 14:19-30; Daniel 3:28; Matthew 26:53)

There are different types of angels. The only two angels mentioned by names are the messenger angels, Michael and Gabriel. [Raphael and two others are named in the Apocrypha; but not in our Christian Bible]. There are also ministering angels assigned to each of us (Hebrews 1:14) and special guardian angels assigned to children (Matthew 18:10). There is much controversy about what angels can and cannot do. Angels are God's secret agents who cannot answer prayers. However, according to Revelation 5:8 and Revelation 8:3, they take the golden bowls of incense representing the prayers of the saints to God. They get busy and carry the prayers to God who will answer them how and when He sees fit.

Are you giving your angels work to do? Are you putting your angels to work by praying to God? Are you letting your prayers reach heaven so your angels can put them in a golden bowl mixed with incense that become a sweet smelling savor to God?

Take your angels off unemployment and give them work to do. Better still, work them overtime with no days off, no holidays, no vacation and no sick leave. Keep them busy; not bored.

The Church of Opportunity
Then write this to the angel of the Church of Philadelphia: "I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name." (Revelation 3:8)

Jesus had no criticisms about the Church of Philadelphia. It was a church that stood at the gateway of a great opportunity (Revelation 3:7-13). Jesus said to this church, "See, I have set befofe you an open door and no one can shut it." The "open door" means primarily access to God, but it also refers to the opportunity for spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. The word "philadelphia" in Greek means "brotherly love." The Church of Philadelphia is known as the Church of Opportunity and the Church of Brotherly Love.

Jesus assured this church that their deeds were recognized even though it was a church of little strength. Because of this church's obedience, Jesus promised (1) a place in God's presence; (2) a new name; and (3) the New Jerusalem.

These are promises to us also. Those who keep God's commandments are kept when those who do not keep His commandments will perish (Revelation 3:10).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Lukewarm Church
To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: "So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Revelation 3:16)

Have you every drunk a lukewarm cup of coffee or tea?  It didn't taste very pleasing, did it?  You probably preferred it HOT.  Have you tasted a lukewarm soda?  You probably preferred it COLD.  The lukewarm coffee that was supposed to be hot and the lukewarm soda that was supposed to be cold might have put a bad taste in your mouth. 

The above warning was to the church at Laodicea. Laodicea was a rich city, but it was known for always having a problem with its water supply. An aqueduct was built to bring water to the city from hot springs, but by the time the water reached the city, it was neither hot nor refreshing cold; only lukewarm. The church had become just like its water supply; neither hot nor cold. This caused a disgusting taste in God's mouth because they straddled the fence.  They were wishy-washy.  They were for God one day and turned against Him the next day.  Therefore, God told them that He would spit them out of His mouth.  We know where spiritually cold people stand because they don't pretend. Their spiritual needs are obvious. But those who are lukewarm may have just enough pretense of Christianity to cause them to think they are okay.  God desires wholehearted, sincere people. Those who do just enough to get by have been warned that God will spit them out of His mouth. Those who are lukewarm risk missing God altogether.

What kind of taste do you make in God's mouth? Hot? Cold? Lukewarm?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gargle, But Don't Swallow
" . . . I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Revelation 3:16)

I recently asked a friend what was good for a sore throat. She said she gargles with peroxide. I said, "The stuff that is used to color hair?" She said, "Yes." Then I asked, "Isn't peroxide poison? Why gargle with poison?" She said, "Gargle, but don't swallow." In other words, when used as directed, even poison can be good for you.

We, as Christians, hear so much about the word of God and are given advice that could kill us spiritually if we aren't careful. We need to know the word of God for ourselves.  We need to know what to take in and what to spit out. Like peroxide, sometimes we need to hear what people tell us, gargle but don't swallow.

Embracing some things we hear can be harmful to our spiritual health. Therefore, it is always good to know when to gargle and when to swallow.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minimum Requirement
So because you are lukewarm — neither hot nor cold — I will spew you out of my mouth. (Revelation 3:16)

Have you every drunk a lukewarm cup of coffee or tea?  It didn't taste very pleasing, did it?  You probably preferred it HOT.  Have you tasted a lukewarm soda?  You probably preferred it COLD.  The lukewarm coffee that was supposed to be hot and the lukewarm soda that was supposed to be cold might have put a bad taste in your mouth. 

The above warning was to the church at Laodicea. The people there were neither hot nor cold.  This caused a disgusting taste in God's mouth because they straddled the fence.  They were wishy-washy.  They were for God one day and turning against Him the next day.  Therefore, God told them that He would spew them out of His mouth.  Actually being spiritually cold is better than being lukewarm.  At least those who are spiritually cold don't pretend that they are all right.  Their spiritual needs are obvious. But those who are lukewarm may have just enough pretense of Christianity to cause them to think they are okay.  God desires wholehearted, sincere people. To be otherwise suggests that something else has a higher priority than a relationship with Him.  Those who do just enough to get by have been warned that God will spit them out of His mouth. Those who do only the "minimum requirement" risk missing God altogether.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Going to Church on Christmas Day?
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

This year Christmas Day is on Sunday. Some churches, especially the megachurches, have opted not to have a worship service. They rationalize that people need to spend time with their families. If a church is operating in the love and beauty of God's holiness, one's local community of faith is also family. An alternative to closing would be to encourage people to bring their entire family with them to worship together.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the true Christian who goes to church on Christmas Day because going to church doesn't make anyone a true Christian. However, I can safely say that we should go to church out of love for the one whose birthday we are celebrating. We proclaim Jesus in church all year long, why not proclaim Him in church on the day we celebrate His birth? 

We profess to be a light to a lost world. What would happen if some lost soul sought to find solace in your church among the saints on Christmas Day and there was a sign on the door that read, "Sorry, We're Closed"? What if Jesus came back for His church without a spot or wrinkle on Christmas Day and no one was there? (Ephesians 5:27) What if Jesus stood knocking on your church door on Christmas Day and it was padlocked? (Revelation 3:20) What if the bridegroom came and you were out doing other things? (Matthew 25:1-13)

Going to church on Christmas Day shouldn't be an option. It should be an opportunity. Since we celebrate Jesus' birth on Christmas Day, and since we worship corporately on all the other Sundays of the year, it should be especially important for us to worship together on this holy and sacred day. We could combine the HOLIDAY and the HOLY DAY without neglecting either one.

Ultimately, it's our choice whether we go to church on Christmas Day or not. However, I believe those who do go will experience hope, peace, love and the joy of Jesus like never before!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An Invitation to Sup!
Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Have you been invited to lunch today? Or do you plan to eat alone? Jesus is inviting you to eat with him.  He is knocking at the door of your heart.  Can't you hear him?  Answer him and have a great lunch today.  He will not only eat with you, but he will be with you in everything you do.

Say "Yes" to Jesus today and dine sufficiently!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Open the Door
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me. (Revelation 3:20 )

A door is symbolic of a barrier to keep people or things in or to keep people and things out.  The above scripture is a great illustration of Jesus wanting to go through the barrier to your heart.  He is a gentlemen and will not barge in as Satan would.  Instead, Jesus stands at the door and gently knocks.  He wants you to hear His voice and respond by opening the door to let Him in.  He wants your company so badly that He will stand there and knock until you answer. 

IF you first hear His voice and answer, THEN and only then will He come in and eat and fellowship with you.  Can't you hear Jesus knocking?  Open the door of your heart right now and let Jesus in!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jesus Desires Our Company
Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Jesus spent time with His Father, but He also spent time with others. He ate with the tax-collectors and sinners. He called Zacchaeus down from the sycamore time to eat with him. He ate at Simon the leper's house. He ate with Martha and Mary. He had one-on-one conversations with Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman at the well. He had special meetings with His twelve disciples, and even more intimate conversations with His inner circle, Peter, James and John. Jesus was always among people. Jesus desires company and fellowship.

Jesus made the above request to the Church at Laodicea. This was a complacent and rich church who felt satisfied with its wealth. It did not have the presence of Christ. This was the lukewarm church that Jesus was about to spew out of His mouth. Jesus longed to be in their church and in their lives. He desired friendship and fellowship with them. He desired companion and communication with them. He desired their company. Jesus stood at the door and knocked, but the Laodiceans were too busy with their own agendas that they didn't hear Jesus knocking. Whenever they thought they heard a knock at the door, they ignored it.

Every time we sense His presence, we should turn to Jesus. He is there knocking on the door of our heart. Jesus desires our company. He wants fellowship with us. Opening the door of our heart and letting Jesus in is our only hope for lasting fulfillment. Do not intentionally keep Jesus' life changing presence and power on the other side of the door. Let Him in . . . RIGHT NOW!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Rainbow . . . A Complete Circle
And He who was seated on the throne was like a jasper stone and a sardian to look at; and there was a rainbow circling round the throne, like an emerald to look at.  (Revelation 4:3)

Did you know the rainbow is a complete circle and not a semi-circle? All rainbows on earth are semi-circles, and they don't move.  Man can only see from the standpoint of earth.  The rainbow actually is a complete circle. According to Genesis 9:11-17, God promised Noah that He would never destroy the world by water again.  God put a rainbow in the sky as a reminder to Himself not to do it again.  God was so emphatic in His covenant relationship with Noah that He never forgot that promise.  In the Book of Revelation, John saw the complete rainbow circling around God's throne. He saw the rainbow not from an earthly view but from the standpoint of eternity.  It looked like a sparkling emerald.  Its most prevailing color was a pleasant green to show the reviving and refreshing nature of the new covenant that God made with Christ as the head of the church.

There is another interesting fact about the rainbow that we see.  It shows up only after a storm.  If you are going through a storm in your life, don't despair.  After the storm you are sure to see a rainbow.  But when you look at it from earth you will be able to see only half of it. . . the stationary motionless semi-circle.  Remember the rainbow is a complete circle moving around God's throne.  What you see is only half of what is to be. The best is yet to come.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Only a Glimpse on Earth
And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian. A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne. (Revelation 4:3)

We see only a glimpse on earth compared to what we will see in heaven. Did you know the rainbow is a complete circle and not a semi-circle? All rainbows on earth are semi-circles, and they don't move.  Man can see only from the standpoint of earth.  The rainbow actually is a complete circle. According to Genesis 9:11-17, God promised Noah that He would never destroy the world by water again.  God put a rainbow in the sky as a reminder to Himself not to do it again.  God was so emphatic in His covenant relationship with Noah that He never forgot that promise.  In the Book of Revelation, John saw the complete rainbow circling God's throne. He saw the rainbow not from an earthly view but from the standpoint of eternity.  It looked like a sparkling emerald.  Its most prevailing color was a pleasant green to show the reviving and refreshing nature of the new covenant that God made with Christ as the head of the church.

There is another interesting fact about the rainbow that we see.  It shows up only after a storm.  If you are going through a storm in your life, don't despair.  After the storm you are sure to see a rainbow.  But when you look at it from earth you will be able to see only half of it. . . the stationary motionless semi-circle.  Remember the rainbow is a complete circle moving around God's throne.  What you see on earth is only a glimpse of what is in heaven.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Twenty-Four
Around the throne were twenty-four thrones; and upon the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white garments, and golden crowns on their heads. (Revelation 4:4)

The number twenty-four is used twice in the above scripture. John reports that he saw twenty-four thrones around the main throne in heaven. On the twenty-four thrones sat the twenty-four elders. Who are the twenty-four elders? They represent those who have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Because there were twelve tribes of Israel in the Old Testament and twelve disciples in the New Testament, the twenty-four elders in this vision represent ALL the redeemed of God for all time before and after Christ's death and resurrection. That includes all who have been washed in the shed blood of Jesus.

The twenty-four elders represent every redeemed person whether Jew or Gentile, man or female, young or old. The twenty-four elders show us that we, too will be in continual worship of God in heaven. Why not begin now to worship Him in spirit and truth?

Because the scripture says the twenty-four elders are in white garments, crowned and enthroned, it suggests that they have been rewarded.  Let the redeemed of the Lord say so "for great is your reward in heaven" (Matthew 5:12).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Meaning Behind the Word "Almighty"
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come. (Revelation 4:8)

God's majesty and power are embedded in the word, "Almighty." Other than in the Book of Revelation, the word is used only once in the New Testament in 2 Corinthians 6:18. However, "Almighty" is used nine times in Revelation to show God's omnipotence.

The word "Almighty" is always capitalized when referring to God because He is the supreme and ultimate reality. He is perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is to be worshiped as creator and ruler of the universe.

"Almighty" means 'without contenders." No matter what Satan might send your way, remember that God is more powerful and will always win. No matter how wicked Satan is, he cannot defeat God and His people. In His own time and in His own way, God will fulfill His promises and accomplish His sovereign purpose in history.

In your prayers and in your conversations about God, refer to Him as Almighty because He is!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Not Just One Day in Seven
You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power. (Revelation 4:11)

Today (Sunday) Christians all over the world will show reverent devotion and allegiance to God in some form.  Worshiping God will be expressed by rituals, ceremonies or by quiet meditation.  Actually, the word "worship" comes from the Old English "worthship"  denoting the worthiness of the one receiving the special honor or devotion.

Even though Sunday is the one day in seven set aside to honor God, we should make it a practice to show our reverence to God by our lifestyle on the other six days as well.  We should demonstrate everyday in every way our love for God, whether we are in the workplace, supermarket, laundry mat, classroom, or at home. We should express our love for God at all times and not just for one or two hours every seventh day.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A New Song
And they sang a new song. (Revelation 5:9)

Have you ever awakened with a song on your lips?  You might not have understood it then, but the Lord gave you a song to sing.  However, it was a familiar hymn that you probably have sung in your church.  And then there are times when you are driving along in your car, washing dishes, or mowing the lawn  you make up a long while pouring your heart out to God. If you have done these things, do not consider them strange.  You were singing unto God.

There are several new things in the Book of Revelation:  a new name, a new Jerusalem, a new heaven, a new earth, all things new, and a new song.   What is that new song?  No one knows.  It hasn't been revealed yet.  The new song is one that only the redeemed will be able to sing.  That song is one that cannot be studied while on earth.  In heaven you will not be able to audition to sing it, practice to sing it, or be booked on a special program to sing it.  The new song is one that God will put on your heart, in your mind, and on your lips instantly . . . that is if you are one of His redeemed.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Put Your Angels to Work
 . . . and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. (Revelation 5:8; 8:3)

Angels are spiritual beings and appear throughout the Bible. At least 34 of the 66 books of the Bible teach about the existence of angels. They are mentioned 108 times in the Old Testament and 165 times in the New Testament. While the Bible gives no definite number of angels, they are described as "thousands upon thousands," "myriad of angels" and "legions." (Daniel 7:10; Matthew 26:53; Hebrews 12:22). The number will never increase or decrease because angels do not produce after their own kind, and they do not die. Angels are superior to man in power and intelligence (Hebrews 2:7) but we are not to worship them. Angels appear before righteous people and serve them in times of need. (Psalm 91:11-12). Angels are assigned to protect the people of God. (Exodus 14:19-30; Daniel 3:28; Matthew 26:53)

There are different types of angels. The only two angels mentioned by names are the messenger angels, Michael and Gabriel. [Raphael and two others are named in the Apocrypha; but not in our Christian Bible]. There are also ministering angels assigned to each of us (Hebrews 1:14) and special guardian angels assigned to children (Matthew 18:10). There is much controversy about what angels can and cannot do. Angels are God's secret agents who cannot answer prayers. However, according to Revelation 5:8 and Revelation 8:3, they take the golden bowls of incense representing the prayers of the saints to God. They get busy and carry the prayers to God who will answer them how and when He sees fit.

Are you giving your angels work to do? Are you putting your angels to work by praying to God? Are you letting your prayers reach heaven so your angels can put them in a golden bowl mixed with incense that become a sweet smelling savor to God?

Take your angels off unemployment and give them work to do. Better still, work them overtime with no days off, no holidays, no vacation and no sick leave. Keep them busy; not bored.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Live Godly Today!
And when the seven thunders had sounded, I was about to write, but I heard a voice from heaven saying, "Seal up what the seven thunders have said, and do not write it down. (Revelation 10:4)

People often want to know what will happen in the future. God reveals some of it in the Book of Revelation, but John was stopped from revealing to us certain parts of his vision.  Likewise, an angel told Daniel that some things he saw were not to be revealed yet to everyone (Daniel 12:9).  Jesus told his disciples that the time of the end is known only by God (Mark 13:32-33).  God has revealed all we need to know to live for him now. 

In our desire to be ready for the end, we must not place more emphasis on speculation about the last days than on living godly lives today!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Greatest Accuser
For the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. (Revelation 12:10)

Have you ever been accused of something and you know you didn't do it the way someone said you did? And the more you explained your position, the worse it got?

It is the Satan's job to accuse. Sometimes he personally does it himself.  In the vision recorded in Zechariah 3:1-10, Satan himself is standing at the right hand of Joshua to make accusation against him. At other times, Satan's accusing spirit is duplicated in the fleshly nature of others . . . friends, family, co-workers, church folks, etc. Even obedient Christians are exposed to Satan's lies and might fall prey to accusations according to Romans 7:13-35.

Anyone who has felt the force of the accuser's power realizes how helpless we are to resist his accusations in our own strength. Our sins and failings make us vulnerable to Satan's sifting us like wheat. It is only through the saving and interceding power of Christ that we do not succumb to the charges of our accusing enemy.

It is useless to pray for Satan to stop accusing us. That will never happen. In fact, he will increase his accusations the closer we get to carrying out God's purpose for our lives. It is at those times that we must depend on Jesus to intercede on our behalf. We must stand before God on the basis of Christ's righteousness and not our own. (Philippians 3:1-9; Titus 3:5)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be An Overcomer
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony. (Revelation 12:11)

To overcome is to defeat; to conquer; or to prevail over something. We have all it takes to be overcomers. According to the above scripture, two things are needed: (1) the blood of the Lamb and (2) the word of your testimony. The first part has already been done. Through Jesus' shed blood and sacrificial death on the cross, we are forgiven by God for our sins when we confess Jesus as Lord. Therefore, Satan can no longer accuse us of guilt. The blood of Jesus is the only hope of escaping the deadly power and guilt of sin and Satan's attacks on our lives. The second part of the scripture is left up to individuals to give a testimony based on the sacrificial death of Jesus as it has impacted their lives.

Satan cannot win when the above two requirements are met. You will win and be an overcomer when you acknowledge Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross and give your testimony concerning his death. Make no mistake about it, it doesn't count when you testify to other things such as getting a new house, car, or job. To be an overcomer, your testimony has to be in reference to Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. If you have been giving some other testimony, then it is no wonder you are NOT an overcomer.  Overcomers don't boast about what they have. Overcomers acknowledge WHO has them.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Satan, Saints and Sinners
Therefore rejoice, you heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you! He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short." (Revelation 12:12)

In the Book of Revelation, John sees a war going on in heaven between Satan and Michael, the archangel. Satan is defeated and is hurled down to earth. There are three different reactions because of Satan's dismissal from heaven.
 
SATAN is filled with fury because he knows his time is short. (Revelation 12:10b; 12c)
SAINTS are filled with joy because they know Satan's time is short. (Revelation 12:10a; 11-12a)
SINNERS are filled with fear because they know Satan's time is short. (Revelation 12:12b)
 
During these last days, when we begin doing work in the Kingdom of God, Satan becomes furious and tries to stop it because he knows his time is short. Saints become overjoyed when they do a good work. However, sinners have a different reaction. They become fearful because they know they have only a short time to get it straight with God.
 
Satan is already defeated. Saints can continue rejoicing. There is good news for sinners. They can change from fearful to faithful by confessing that Jesus is Lord!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark of the Beast: 666
Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.  (Revelation 13:18)

What is the mark of the beast? And what is the meaning of 666? Some have seen this number as a reference to Nero, the first emperor to persecute Christians. Other explanations revolve around the meaning of this number to be mathematical computations of such evil persons such as Hitler or Mussolini as the Antichrist. Efforts to identify a specific person have been unsatisfactory.

The most convincing explanation is this: If the number seven symbolizes the fullness of God (Genesis 3:1; 5:6), perhaps six is considered to be associated with falling one short of completeness. Man was created on the sixth day. Therefore, six is the number representing man. The "mark of the beast" is the counterfeit of "the seal of the living God" (Revelation 7:2-4). Just as there is a trinity with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; there is also a satanic trinity consisting of satan, the first beast, and the false prophet. We are warned to have wisdom over evil and know what the mark of the beast is.

What it comes down to is who gets our allegiance: the Trinity of the Godhead or the Satanic Trinity.  Our allegiance should always be to God and not to Satan. The mark of the beast (666) will then have no chance of being imprinted upon our foreheads, representing our thoughts, or on our hands, representing our action.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Endure Patiently!
Let this encourage God's people to endure patiently every trial and persecution, for they are His saints who remain firm to the end in obedience to His commands and trust in Jesus. (Revelation 14:12)

Our endurance to whatever happens to us is in direct proportion to the quality of our relationship with God.  If we are enjoying a personal intimate relationship with God, we will be able to remain firm through every test and trial.  God promised that we will be able to do this by trusting in Him, obeying His commands and following Jesus.

Trust God to give you patience to endure even the smallest trials you face daily. Be intentional about obeying God no matter what!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Secret to Enduring
Let this encourage God's people to endure patiently every trial and persecution, for they are his saints who remain firm to the end in obedience to his commands and trust in Jesus. (Revelation 14:12)

Have you known people who seem to be able to overcome the hardest obstacles? Have you ever wondered how they could still stand under such pressure? Do you, on the other hand, crumble under the smallest trial? What is the secret to enduring?

Times of trial serve to sift Christians. Those who are not anchored in the Lord turn to fair-weather Christians. Those who are already fair-weather Christians begin to backslide. Those who are already backsliding sin even more. A lack of endurance pushes people further away from God. However, endurance is the evidence of those who are devoted to God. 

Those who endure are not easily blown away, tossed and driven. They stand firm and are alert to temptations, resistant to pressure, and vigilant when facing the most trying times. 

The secret to enduring is really no secret at all. It is
trusting God in all circumstances. It is being obedient to every command in His Word. Trust God to give you patience to endure even the small trials you face daily. Obey God even when obedience is unattractive, unpopular or misunderstood.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fruit That Survives
Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them. (Revelation 14:13)

While it is true that money, fame, and belongings can't be taken with us from this life, God's people can produce fruit that survives even death.  God will remember our love, kindness, and faithfulness, and those who accept Christ through our witness will join us in the new earth. 

Be sure that your values are in line with God's values, and decide today to produce fruit that lasts forever.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What the Bible Says about Death and Dying
Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. (Revelation 14:13)

If you have ever wondered what happened when you die, then you are not alone. Most people have wondered, contemplated and desired to know what happens after they take their last breath here on earth.

Yes, there is life beyond the grave. Yes, there is eternal life beyond the grave. If you die in Christ, then your eternal life will be spent in Heaven with God (Revelation 21:27).   If you do not believe in Jesus and His saving power, then your eternal life will be spent in torment in the lake of fire and
brimstone with continual wailing and gnashing of teeth (Revelation 20:14-15; 21:8)).

But, what exactly happens between the time we die and the time we are given eternal life? According to the Bible, the body dies and degenerates into dust,but the soul lives on. Below is the sequence of events beginning with death.
1.   The body dies.
2.   The soul is protected by God awaiting the return of Christ.
3.   The bodies of both the righteous and unrighteous are resurrected and reunited with their souls.
4.   The judgment of God is given (both righteous and unrighteous).
5.   All persons are assigned to their place of everlasting life (heaven or
hell).

As much as we would like to believe our loved ones are already in heaven light now, they are not. They are in protective custody. They will not go to heaven until we do. We will all get our eternal assignments at the same time whether it be heaven or hell.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pessimism of Culture
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. (Revelation 21:1)

Have you ever complained about how bad the world is? Most people have talked negatively about the world and think things cannot get any worse. However, we live in a world that will get worse because sin is in the world. Therefore, we should not become alarmed when certain things happen. Rather, we should become alarmed if they don't happen. These are signs of the times that MUST happen to bring us closer to the return of Jesus.
 
The world as we know it will NEVER be restored. God does not plan to rebuild, restore or renovate this world. He plans to destroy it and give us a new heaven right here on earth.
 
Until that time comes, we should be prepared to face injustices, unfairness, and all the things that cause us to be pessimistic about the outcome of this world. Our hope should not be for this world to get better whether by our own efforts of the efforts of those who have political power. Our hope should be in the ability of Christ to overcome the world as He said He would. (John 16:33) And like Job, we must believe that in the end God will settle every account.
 
The world will NEVER be perfect. Otherwise, there would be no need for it to be destroyed. So, when you talk negatively about how bad the world is, don't let that be the conclusion of the whole matter. Let unsaved loved ones and others hear you say, "Yes, the world is full of sin and bad things are happening, but.....

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth." (Job 19:25)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What's In Between the Alpha and the Omega?
"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last." (Revelation 22:13)

Whether you have studied Greek or not, most of you know that Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet and Omega is the last letter. Only those who have studied the language know what's in between Alpha and Omega. It is important to know that Jesus said, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last." It is also important to know when it was said. These words were said prematurely when Jesus first came to earth. They were not said after His resurrection.  These words were said by the risen Christ after making an assessment of what He had done for us. We find these words in the Book of Revelation to acknowledge that Jesus is Creator of everything (The Alpha, The Beginning, The First) and the Final Judge (The Omega, The End, The Last). But what's in between the Alpha and Omega?

Everything in between the Alpha and Omega was for our benefit. Jesus came to earth be our example. Therefore, He was the firstfruit of everything to pave the way for us. His being tempted to sin (Matthew 4:4) gives us a great lesson on how to deal with the tempter. His being rejected gives us great lessons on how to handle our own rejections. His death on the cross took the sting out of our own death. Let's remember everything we encounter, Jesus dealt with it first to make it easier for us.

To say Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega should give us hope because of what's in between: our salvation, our protection, our deliverance, our peace and our joy. If we are to be sandwiched in between something, let us be sandwiched in and covered by the Alpha and the Omega.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Happy Meal
Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb! (Revelation 19:9)

From the time a child begins to eat solid foods and learn to talk, he or she starts asking for a happy meal from McDonald's. Somehow the golden arch becomes synonymous with their "happy meal." Even though the happy meal is a child's portion, it is a sample of everything the regular meal includes. Whether the child is hungry or not, the food is not what the child focuses on first. What, then, captures the child's attention? It is the prize, the toy, or whatever else that's included to make the child happy. Hence, the name "happy meal."

There is a happy meal waiting for us adults. However, we cannot buy it from McDonald's. We cannot buy it already prepared from any restaurant. No matter how well grandma cooks, we cannot go to her house for this happy meal. In fact, this happy meal cannot be served in our present age.

The happy meal is reserved for us in the day when our Lord and Savior returns. It will be a happy day when we eat that happy meal with Jesus. We will meet Jesus around the table at the Wedding Supper of the Lamb. It will be like our present day wedding receptions when we celebrate with the bride and groom. However, we will not be spectators at this great event. We will be very much a part of it. For you see, we are the bride for whom Jesus is returning. The Wedding Supper of the Lamb will be a great banquet, a great feast, when we will all gather together worshipping and enjoying our "happy meal."

Only the redeemed are invited to this great supper. Reserve your position around the table by accepting Jesus as you Savior and Lord today while there is still time.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Off the Chain" Explained (See Philippians 3:14)
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the abyss and a great chain in his hand. (Revelation 20:1)

I received numerous responses to yesterday's E-Message, "Off the Chain." It would be safe to say, the responses were "off the chain." Here is a summary of the explanations:

A 6-8 grade teacher wrote:
I believe this expression is a positive one for the youth of today. It means that it doesn't follow a prescribed path. It is not as predictable as many things are. It has given new meaning and definition to something they are learning about. It is not one thing in front, or behind the next. It is out of the box, so to speak. It is at a new level. This could be a mixed up point of view from a middle school student, but that is what I perceive this to mean.

An ordained minister wrote:
I, too, hear it a lot, especially from younger folks.  I don't have the slightest idea where it came from, how it got started or anything.  I feel like you, if something is good, just say "it is or it was good." Don't tell me "off the chain" because I take that to mean the opposite of what you are saying.

A postal executive wrote:
Can’t explain the comment, however your message convicted me!

Another postal employee wrote:
To my understanding, “off the chain” comes from street culture concerning pets that are walked while on a lease, or in the case of pitbulls, “the chain.”  I think the term morphed into being a synonym for “Freedom.” “Being free” (also for “off the hook” when relating to fish and fishing: catch and release programs found in most urban areas).

I can see how someone might relate it to a worship experience or sermon.  They may have indeed found their freedom from sin in the message of God’s word.

A Minister of Music in California wrote:
I personally have used the expression, "off the chain" with the pure meaning of "without bounds or constraints."  In using the term, I picture a person or animal, for example like a lion, being held by a chain. The power of their quest to accomplish what their goal may be has broken every chain and barrier that bind them as they now freely move out in their mission to bring GOD glory. If the presence of GOD is evident at a concert or any other worship service, the concert or worship service is now defined as "off the chain" for GOD is freely moving up and down the aisles mending, encouraging and blessing the people without the constraints of a written program or a person trying to expedite the service. That is my motive behind using the expression.

My son who is a master of slang wrote:
"Off the chain" is similar to saying "off the meter" or "off the chart" which probably would  make more sense to you.  It simply means going beyond the norm or a set standard or set expectations.

So, there you have it. Hopefully, you can describe this message as being "OFF THE CHAIN."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Book of Life
I will never blot out his name from the Book of Life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father, and his angels. (Revelation 3:5b) Another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12b)

Years ago there was a television program called "This is Your Life." Secretly the family and friends of a person had been gathered, and they appeared on the show not only surprising the special guest but also telling what the guest had done in life. We did not appearon that television show, but God sees and hears everything we do and say.  He keeps records on us in the "Book of Life."

The Book of Life  is a common biblical metaphor derived from the ancient practice of keeping a list of citizens. It represents God's records of those who are part of His kingdom. The book of life contains a record of all those who accept Jesus Christ as Savior and who will receive eternal life. Those whose names are not recorded in the Book of Life will will be "cast into the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:15). But those whose names appear here in the Book of Life (Revelation 21:27) will be allowed to enter the New Jerusalem.

Is your name written in the Book of Life? Be sure, be absolute sure by making Jesus Christ your Savior today!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Fireproof Body
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:15)

As believers, we often thank God for giving us eternal life through His Son Jesus Christ. Did you know unbelievers will have eternal life as well? Believers will enjoy eternal life in a place of bliss; whereas unbelievers will be tormented eternally in a place of gloom and doom. The above scripture puts it in perspective for those who do not follow Christ. Woe to the wicked whose names are not written in the book of life for they will perish in hell for ever and ever, and that's eternal life. They will be cast into the same lake of fire where "that old serpent the devil" will be eternally. (Revelation 12:9) The above scripture gives the sentence of eternal punishment for those who choose to lead a life of sin here on earth.

There will be no weeping in heaven. Therefore, believers will not remember bad situations or loved ones who are absent because they chose not to be saved. However, in hell there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Those who are sentenced to hell will remember every terrible thing they did on earth whether it was in thought, word or deed.  In heaven, believers will enjoy a peaceful rest. In hell, there will be no rest day or night. (Revelation 14:16)

In heaven, believers will have a glorified body. In hell, unbelievers will have a fireproof body. Death will be a welcomed pleasure for them, but instead they will never die. They will be tormented as a result of their eternal fate in fire and brimstone.

In summary, believers will have rest and no remembrance and no weeping in a place of bliss. Unbelievers will have no rest, remembrance and weeping in a place of torment. Hopefully, this will help unbelievers make up their minds to confess Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pessimism of Culture
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. (Revelation 21:1)

Have you ever complained about how bad the world is? Most people have talked negatively about the world and think things cannot get any worse. However, we live in a world that will get worse because sin is in the world. Therefore, we should not become alarmed when certain things happen. Rather, we should become alarmed if they don't happen. These are signs of the times that MUST happen to bring us closer to the return of Jesus.
 
The world as we know it will NEVER be restored. God does not plan to rebuild, restore or renovate this world. He plans to destroy it and give us a new heaven right here on earth.
 
Until that time comes, we should be prepared to face injustices, unfairness, and all the things that cause us to be pessimistic about the outcome of this world. Our hope should not be for this world to get better whether by our own efforts of the efforts of those who have political power. Our hope should be in the ability of Christ to overcome the world as He said He would. (John 16:33) And like Job, we must believe that in the end God will settle every account.
 
The world will NEVER be perfect. Otherwise, there would be no need for it to be destroyed. So, when you talk negatively about how bad the world is, don't let that be the conclusion of the whole matter. Let unsaved loved ones and others hear you say, "Yes, the world is full of sin and bad things are happening, but.....

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth."
(Job 19:25)

____________________________________________________________________


No Remembrance in Heaven; Remembrance in Hell
And God himself will be with them; he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away." (Revelation 21:3-4)

In heaven, we will not remember and focus on the bad things that happened on earth. There will be no mourning, sorrow, sadness or thoughts of unpleasant things in heaven. Death will be no more. Mourning and crying and pain will cease. It is so important to witness to people to be saved. If your friends and family members are not saved, there will be no remembrance of them in heaven because it would cause you to be sad. Therefore, God will wipe them away from your memories as if they never existed. Everything in heaven with be good and pleasant. Heaven is a place of bliss and blessings.

Hell is a place of torture, torment and damnation for unbelievers. It is a place where people will remember the evil they have done on earth and wished they had repented. But it will be too late to do anything about it. Hell is a place of mourning and crying and gnashing of teeth because the unsaved will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Old Order of Things
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. (Revelation 21:4b)

We often become complacent with the way things are going whether good or bad. We seem to get stuck in our own comfort zone where people and things are familiar. Abused wives (or husbands) stay in bad relationships because it is expected. Sometimes it is the lessor of two evils to stay put in a "known" situation than to venture out to the "unknown."

Revelation 21:4 is hope for the hopeless. The old order of things will pass away. While the evil that goes on in this world is real, it is only temporary. This earth is NOT our home. The old order of things will be replaced with a new heaven and a new earth. The pain, the sufferings, the disappointments will NOT last. Whatever we experience at this present time will become the old order of things that will pass away. That's good news for every Christian!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Things
And the one seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." (Revelation 21:5)

Everybody likes getting new things. New things make us happy. We often feel better about life when we receive new things. However, the new things received on this earth are nothing compared to the new things we will receive in heaven.

NEW NAME: "To everyone who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give a white stone, and on the white stone is written a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it." (Revelation 2:17) You will not know your new name while on this earth. You will know it in heaven, but no one else will know it.

NEW SONG: "And they were given a new song." (Revelation 5:9; 14:3).  The new song that will be given in heaven is not one that has been sung on this earth. There is no need to try to find the sheet music for it.  There is no need to try to practice it in choirs. The new song will be given only to the redeemed who go to heaven.

NEW JERUSALEM: "And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband." (Revelation 21:2) Jeremiah and Jesus wept over Jerusalem because of its corrupt condition. People are still weeping over Jerusalem, but the Jerusalem as it is today will pass away, and a new Jerusalem will come down from heaven.

NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH: "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away." (Revelation 21:1) This earth as we know it today will not always be this way. A new earth will replace this sinful, corrupt earth.

New name, new song, new Jerusalem, new heaven, new earth...Don't you want these new things?  God promised to make all things new for those who love Him and have become part of the family through His Son, Jesus the Christ.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What's In Store For Us?
He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son." (Revelation 21:7)

How many times have you heard someone say, "I feel like I have died and gone to heaven" following some pleasant and exciting experience? Usually this statement is said after someone has done something unusual such as getting a hole-in-one on the golf course, seeing a breath taking scenery or eating a big piece of chocolate cake. Each person is inclined to describe these earthly experiences as a taste of heaven. However, they are limited in their perception of what heaven is like and what really is in store for them once they reach their heavenly home. Make no mistake about it, we are indeed limited in our perception of heaven if we reduce it to the taste of a piece of cake.

I pose one question to you: What's in store for us? What's in store for us as a nation, as a people, as a community of faith, as a body of Christ? What's in store for us? What are we to really expect beyond this life? Or are we to think this is it? Is this all there is?

We praise God, we pray, we fast, we supplicate, we labor before God, but what do we expect in the end? What's in store for us?

The Book of Revelation is one of the least read books in the Bible because people are afraid to read it. Satan doesn't want us to read it. There is nothing fearful about the Book of Revelation. In fact, the Book of Revelation is the most hopeful books in the entire Bible. How can I say that? I can say that because it tells us exactly what's in store for us. It tells us that Satan has been defeated and will be cast into the lake of fire where he belongs. It tells us seven times that if we read the Book of Revelation, we will be blessed. The Book of Revelation tells us exactly what's in store for us.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What Are GEMs?
It was filled with the glory of God and sparkled like a precious gem, crystal clear like jasper. (Revelation 21:11)

When we greet our guests at New Canaan Baptist Church, we let them know they are in the "land flowing with milk and honey." (Deuteronomy 26:9) Then we let them know we affectionately call ourselves GEMs. Why do we call ourselves GEMs?

The G stands for Giant Slayers. What are giant slayers?  Even though God brought the Israelites into the Promise Land, the land flowing with milk and honey, He told them they had to possess the land. They soon discovered there were giants in the land. 

Later David killed the giant named Goliath. But that was not the end of David's giant slaying career. Goliath had descendants who also faced David in four other battles. In fact, David came real close to being killed by these giants. Because David was a mighty warrior of God, he was not defeated. (II Samuel 21:15-22) While David encountered physical giants, we encounter spiritual giants in our lives. Like David, we are not defeated.

The E stands for Earth Shakers. What are earth shakers? Earth shakers are those people who don't believe things should always remain the same. They welcome change with such intensity that it shakes the earth. They don't believe in going along with the status quo. They have visions so big that when they are put into practice, things are shakened up. There people refuse to accept what's not of God even when they have to shake things up to prove it.

The M stand for Mountain Movers. What are mountain movers?  Mountain movers are those people who don't wait for things to move on their own. Instead, they move things themselves. They don't wait for bulldozers to come and tear down barriers. They practice Matthew 7:20, "I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you." They do not accept "No" for an answer. They don't have "can't" in their vocabulary. Mountain movers are those who press through and let nothing, absolutely nothing stand in their way of serving God.

Why are we GEMs at New Canaan? Because we walk by faith, and not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7) You, too, are precious in the eyes of God.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Living By Codes, Passwords, Etc.
Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life." (Revelation 21:27)

If you are reading this message, you logged onto your computer by using a password. You gained access to your e-mail account by typing in a code, logging in or entering a password in order for your computer to locate this message. Amazing, isn't it? It is also amazing how one can have a sensor on the windshield of his car and drive through the toll booth without the usual way of waiting in line and then putting money into the basket. Having a "smart tag" is faster and quite convenient. Very few hotels have keys any more. Their guests use a special card to open the doors. Some companies give their  employees special coded cards for entrance into the building. While these modern technological ways help us, they do cost money for the easy access.

The gift of eternal life for us is FREE. That means we don't have to pay for it. But somebody did. Jesus paid for it at great cost. He paid for our gift of salvation and eternal life with His own life. Jesus has already punched the codes for our salvation as He hung on the cross. He gave the password when He said, "It is finished!" He gave each one of us a smart tag to attach to our hearts so that when we die, we will have free access into heaven because of the obedient life we have lived while on earth. The easy access is because Jesus paid it all in advance for us.

One other point: Sometimes we punch in the wrong code, and no matter how much we want to gain access to a site, we are denied. Our disobedience is the wrong code for living. The message received from our computer is: "Access Denied!" Don't let this happen to you when the Book of Life is read. Make sure all your codes, passwords and log ins are in order before it is too late.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Real Deal About Chain Letters
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. (Revelation 22:14)

It is amazing that so many Christians say they love God, worship God and honor God. They say they read their Bibles and follow all that is written therein; yet they send out chain letters via the internet. This includes pastors, ministers, deacons, elders and other leaders of the church. This includes the people who stand up in church on Sunday professing their love for God. This include people who say they know the Bible.

Most chain letters hook us by having a beautiful story or life situation that appeals to our hearts. They even have scriptures to support the elements in the story. The letter would be fine if it ended there, but then there is usually a legalistic statement at the bottom. Here are clues to let you know it is a chain letter.

  1. Pass this on to 10 people in order to be blessed. According the Bible, that is not the way we get blessed.
  2. If you are my friend, send this to 3 people. How does sending a chain letter prove friendship?
  3. If you love me, send this letter back to me. This is such a poor way to express love. Love cannot be reduced to a click on a keyboard.
  4. If you want me to have a good day, send this letter back to me. "Dah!" It is such a sad situation when receiving one's own letter back makes someone's day.
  5. The worst one I believe is the one that says, "If you love Jesus, send this to 5 people." No! No! No! That ain't Bible! [emphasis added]. The Bible says if you love me, keep my commandments. It says NOTHING about responding to a chain letter.
In conclusion, chain letters are not of God. Chain letters go against God's principles. You should not send them. If you receive one, you should do just what you would do if you received it through regular mail . . . put it in the trash. Responding to it makes you just as guilty as the one who sent it. It proves that you, too, are Bible illiterate!  If I told you to forward this to 10 people in order for you, them and me to be blessed, this would be a chain letter. Instead, I'll simply say like Jesus: "Blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it" (Luke 11:28).
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Answers Are In the Back of the Book
"Amen. Come quickly, Lord Jesus." (Revelation 22:20)

When you took high school math, you were to work out the problems within the book. Only then would your teacher permit you to look at the answers in the back of the book. There is a theological connection to this concept.

On your spiritual journey, it is imperative that you "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose" (Philippians 2:12). Man sinned in Genesis, the book of beginnings. It took the entire Bible to get to the fulfillment of God's good purpose for man to be restored to Him.

The answers are in the back of the book. Revelation is a book of hope and great expectation for man's restoration to the God who created him. When you know the answers that are in the back of the book, you will look forward to the end of this world and say with other believers, "Amen. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!"
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last Words
He who testifies to the truth of these things says: "Yes, I am coming soon." So let it be! Come, Lord Jesus! (Revelation 22:20)

If you use a red-letter edition of the Bible, you will see that the last recorded words of Jesus Christ are: "Yes, I am coming soon." The word "soon" means "in the near future"  "fast" and "quickly."  "Soon" also means "at any moment." We don't know the day or the hour when Jesus will return, but He is coming quickly and unexpectedly. This promise is good news for those who have been faithful and will be rewarded for their obedience. This promise is not good news for those who have rejected Him and will be punished for their disobedience.

Since "soon" means "at any moment," we must be ready at all times. We must always be prepared for Jesus' return. Be no place you would not like to be when Jesus returns. Do nothing you would not like to be doing when Jesus returns. Say nothing you would not like to be saying when Jesus returns. Every Christian should be homesick for heaven and should say like John, "So let it be! Come, Lord Jesus!" 
Would Jesus' sudden appearance at any moment catch you off guard?
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And It Came To Pass
And it came to pass . . .  (Genesis-Revelation)

"And it came to pass" is one of the most powerful phrases in the Bible.  This phrase is found throughout the Bible from Genesis to Revelation.  These words denote the fulfillment of a promise.  "And it came to pass" literally means it passed by, it left; it went; it is no longer in our midst.  "And it came to pass" means something has passed over or through.  When you put all these definitions together, "and it came to pass" simply means the problem you once had is no longer there. "One woe is past" (Revelation 9:12).

And "IT" came to pass.  What is the "IT"? It is anything that has been a thorn in your flesh; anything that has been nagging at your spirit; anything that has caused you concern.  The "IT" can be your debts, the problems in your marriage or on your job, a boring speech, or a required course.  Whatever you are going through, take comfort that "IT" will not last forever. "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4).  No matter how long you have been waiting for something to happen, "IT" will come to pass. Whatever the "IT" is, know that one day soon you will be able to say, "And IT came to pass."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Work I've Done
And behold, I am coming quickly, and my reward is with me, to give to everyone according to his work,  (Revelation 22:12)

The beautiful hymn, "May the Work I've Done Speak for Me" is sometimes sung at funerals indicating that the deceased did some significant things during his or her life time. What song would be indicative of the way you have lived your life?  Would the above title be an appropriate song, or is there another?

Whether you are aware of it or not, all of us will have to answer to God for the work we have done while on earth.  While we DO NOT WORK for salvation, we are commanded to work for the building up of God's kingdom.  In fact, it should be something we have a passion to do.  Jesus Himself said He came "to do the will and to finish the work of His Father" (John 4:34).

What work have you done to further God's kingdom?  Be ready to give an answer to God because He will ask us all that someday.  Let's be ready to hear Him say, "Well done!"  And as the hymn says, "May the work we've done speak for us."

Rev. Margaret Minnicks
Director, The Way of Life Spiritual Development Center
P. O. Box 13373
Richmond, VA 23225-0373
(804) 276-8259
REVMJM@aol.com
www.the-way-of-life.org






Custom Search